Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Blogging slump

It happens, every once in awhile you will find me at a lack for words.  For the most part, I do always have something to say and an opinion to voice.  I have sparks of ah ha moments and times I want to shout to the world about something I have discovered.

Lots of things have been running through my head.  After all, running and my family are my two obsessions.  But I have had a hard time getting my thoughts to mesh and come out as a steady flow of words.  So I thought, well let's blog about this.  You readers want to know my random thoughts right?  No?  Ok how about a race recap then?

My racing season has started, YAY!!!!, and I have 3 under my belt so far.  A 5k and two 10ks.  The first race kicked off my road race series.  I am trying to earn my second Seacoast Road Race Series jacket! Seriously, if you have ever wanted motivation to run, this jacket rocks!!! I wear my first series jacket ALL. THE. TIME.  (This years series is closed but check it out HERE to think about doing it next year!)


My first race was a 5k through the city of Dover.  It was a fun little run and I really enjoyed chatting up the miles with my running buddies.  The course itself is full of hills, so the company was a really nice distraction on the pain in my calves. After, my mini decided to run one of the kids fun runs.  She was super cute at the start line and excited as all get out.  They said go and off she went, then she stopped.  She couldn't find us and she panicked a bit I think.  She came in dead last but hey she finished :0)

Race two was EPIC! It was Pineland Farms 10k.  A trail race for 6 miles.  Last year my amazing hubby took on Pineland's 50k and he rocked it! This year, I decided heck why not do something different and try a trail 10k.  WOW! After 6 days of straight rain, race day arrived with torrential downpours and waaaaay below seasonal temps.  I lined up at the start already drenched and shivering.  If I had thought my first race was hilly, this race soon demolished that thought.  The race course was BEAUTIFUL, breathtakingly so.  It crossed big rolling field hills and wound through the forest, up and down and twisting by brooks and waterfalls.  The path was knee deep with mud and had rivers of water flowing down them.  I stumbled ALOT, I walked some and I even fell once.  BUT I got up, kept going and made it to the finish line 83 minutes after the gun went off.  My time was not my best, but it was most definitely a life changing race.  I came out stronger than ever and added a new level of me to my running.



Ok the third race is my pride and joy.  It was Market Square 10k.  There really is nothing special about the course.  Its through downtown Portsmouth, NH and it has nothing to look at.  Usually the houses along the course have music blaring and water misters out but this years Hurricane Andrea made race day not so festive.  Market Square day itself is a great family event.  Housing lots of vendors, food, face painting, entertainment and the works, but we usually just go for the running.  This was my third year in a row running Market Square.  My first year running it was my very first 10k ever.  Before that I had never run more than 3 miles.  I was 14 weeks pregnant with my son and had SEVERE morning sickness.  My hubby decided to push the stroller with out daughter next to me so he could keep an eye on me and make sure I was ok.  I was, as I hit mile 4 I just started crying, I had never run that far before and I knew I would cross the line running.  Which I did at 1:17 and some odd seconds I crossed the line as tears of joy streamed down my face.  Last year I ran it just shy of 6 months postpartum with one of my very best friends.  She helped me get over my wall and keep at it.  Finishing in just 1:07 and some odd seconds.  TEN minutes were shaved off my time.  This year, after a winter of training with the running group I started I had hoped of making it in about 1:05.  Well, a good friend also had the same time goal and having run a few times together before hand we knew we paced about the same so we started together.  And we ended together.  Crossing the like at 58:55!!!! Another 8 minutes and some odd seconds taken off my time giving me a PR!!!!!!  Hubby even had flowers waiting for me since he knew I would PR, although we never thought by that much!

Three races down and a bunch more to go.  I can't wait for the next one :0)

No comments:

Post a Comment