Tuesday, October 8, 2013

This girl is on fire!

It's funny how the Internet and a computer can form a bond between two people.  5 years ago I "met" Melissa on an ivillage board for December 2008 babies.  We were both actually voted the prettiest eyes in our Sugarmama superlatives, and our little girls were born just days apart.  Over the years we have become facebook friends and supporters of each other.  That is why I am so proud to announce Melissa as this weeks Wicked Inspiring Wednesday feature. She is, on top of being a phenomenal runner, one of the most kind, sincere people you will ever come across.  Her everyday happiness and love for her life and family just shines through social media.  her running story is just one of those goosebumps reads.  She is a force to be reckon with out there and wow is she a talented runner!!! I am looking forward to the day where we run the same race ;)

Meet Melissa:

To me, running shoes + an open road = happiness. In college and just after I was married, I participated in a number of local 5Ks and ultimately set my sights on a half marathon. I was registered and uber excited and....found out I was pregnant. I decided to focus on my baby. And then on the next baby. And then on the next. Over that time, physical ailments threatened to keep me off the road forever. I battled supra ventricular tachycardia, which refused to go away even after surgery. I also sustained a small fracture in my back. Walking was hard. Running seemed impossible.

About a year ago, my husband discovered a love of fitness and running and....I cried. I desperately wanted to run again but my body was not going to cooperate. So, I ventured into the world of spinning in the hopes that I could begin to recondition myself. What a Godsend spinning turned out to be. I went 2-3 times a week and slowly felt health, energy, and happiness returning to me.
This May, I learned about a 5K race that was being held locally on Mother's Day. The cause was one that was close to my heart so, before I could talk myself out of it, I entered the race. As a Mother's Day gift, I asked if my family would participate with me. So, on Mother's Day 2013, I ran my first 5K in about 12 years with my incredibly supportive husband, my three beautiful children, and numerous dear friends. Even with virtually no running prep and a 4-year-old who half ran, half was pushed in a stroller by yours truly, I managed to come in at 33:04. My husband ended up coming in at 22:17 and won first place in his age group for males. I was so proud of him. And I realized what I'd been putting on hold for over a decade.

I began to get very serious about my health and fitness. My best friend happens to be an incredibly talented spin instructor and overall fitness trainer. I finally listened as she coached me through healthy eating and the importance of cross training (particularly for me with my orthopedic history). I spun my butt off every chance I got. I found two amazing running partners who helped me slowly increase my miles and my pace. I ate a healthy diet (by diet I mean lifestyle) that my husband had been begging me to switch to for over a year. Weight melted off of me. Strength reappeared. My health improved. Most importantly, my happiness grew.

The "healthy me" entered another 5K on 09/07/13 with my sons, my BFF, and some incredibly supportive friends. I crossed the finish at 21:55! I won first place in my age group for women!
As exciting as that was, I was most eager to run my first half marathon.....the 13.1 that I had put on hold over 12 years earlier. Two weeks ago, on 09/15/13, I did it! I ran the half with my two incredible running partners. I came in at 1:51:33....under two hours! I put that 13.1 sticker on my car so fast...

Probably one of my biggest achievements to date occurred this Sunday at another local 5K. I came in second place overall for females! My time was 21:25....so was my husband's. We were so evenly matched (and we did battle it out on the route) that we crossed the finish line hand-in-hand.
I have one more 5K and another half in the next month. I just couldn't be happier in life than I am right now. I plan to keep spinning and running and just see where life takes me. I do, however, hear a 26.2 calling my name in the distance. :)


4 comments:

  1. Loved reading this -- wicked inspiring!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The second picture, in the green sleeves, brought tears to my eyes! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! I just loved this post!!! I agree with Chelle... That picture of her at the finish brought me to tears, as well as writing about her and her husband crossing the finish line holding hands!!! I LOVE it :) She is on fire for sure!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Inspiring! And they both are super fast!!!

    ReplyDelete