Monday, April 7, 2014

Got Tshirts?!

First I have to say that ummmm, baby #3 is, how do I say this? She's killing me! I mean not literally but she's really taking her toll on me. The contractions, the sleeplessness, the not being able to eat, the pelvic pressure, the not even being able to lay down are all starting to add up. 12 more weeks or there about seems soooo endless right now. I mean I know it isn't much time at all but oh my I can't stand being in my skin right now. Friday night I finally had enough. I cried and cried and cried and cried some more. I can't form complete thoughts and have found myself reading comments to friends on Facebook I apparently wrote that don't make sense and I don't even remember writing. (In fact I'm writing this blog again after losing the first draft and I'm positive this draft isn't nearly as funny and put together as the first). Anyway, because of the exhaustion and the constant feeling of being sick I've been slacking on my blog fest goals. So no more, tonight I will write and if you can stand my senseless rambles, incomplete thoughts and very meek attempts at humor then can we please be best friends? 

Ok now on to the real subject. Tshirts, race tshirts. We all have them even covet them but do we wear them? I mean, in all honesty are they even functional for you? Or are you like me? You hoard them, collect them, and pile them into a gain mountain of I'm never ever going to wear them. Half the time they do not even fit me. The unisex cotton shirt at best has been used as a night shirt in my house. Occasionally, I've gotten some tech shirts and well I have worn some of them but the fit isn't really ever right since it's always in men's sizing. 

Recently, I was contacted by an organization called Get It Going who is launching a kick start campaign for better race shirts. They asked that I take a survey with my thoughts on the race shirt. Their goal is to have a catalogue if you will, of better quality, made in the USA race shirts that Race Directors can go to when picking out shirts for their races. 

I sort of thought this was a genius idea. I mean after all I USED to have a mountain. A HUGE  mountain of unwearable shirts that I refused to get rid of. What you ask did I do with it? Did I finally break down and without another thought throw them out? Donate them? Use them as paint rags? Well, no. These shirts although unworn meant something to me. They held memories of PRs and first races, of new distances and never before dreamed goals finished. So, I had them made into a tshirt quilt. I now keep it on the couch and it's my go to, make me feel better, snuggle upper. 

What do you do with your shirts? Do you wear them? Toss them? Collect them? Not take them? What do you think of this campaign Get It Going has started? Would you be willing to take the survey? 



Race Quilt! 

My feel better, makes me happy, go to snuggle upper: 


3 comments:

  1. My mom had my race t-shirts from high school made into a blanket. Since then, I've probably donated most of the ones I don't wear. Thankfully, they seem to be getting better most years... I hope that trend continues!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never wear my race shirts, with a few exceptions, like the one I got from the Miami Half this year because it's actually cute and the material is really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually use them as night shirts. I have a tech shirt from a marathon that I really like and one t-shirt that actually fits. I have thought about tailoring the ones I like, but that is to much work.

    ReplyDelete