Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Womb Warrior Part One



Let's play a little game, I say a word or phrase and you tell me the scene that pops into your head.  You ready?  PREGNANT!


What image is there?  For most of the population the image is probably that of a women with a nice round belly bump lounging on the couch eating ice cream and pickles.  Or maybe of one waddling to the kitchen looking for yet more snacks to consume. I can probably guarantee that not many of you brought up the image of a women with a round bump laced up and running the running trails or a local race. One who is sweaty, in compression pants and has put some miles down before the sun rose.  That is because running and pregnancy are not usually companions.

Can you run while you are pregnant? Should you run while you are pregnant?  The answer is YES you can IF you decide too.  Obviously, if you were NOT a runner picking up running after that glorious positive pregnancy test is really not advisable.  However, if you had been pounding the pavement and had a running routine there really isn't any reason why you can't keep at it.... with precautions of course!

First and foremost, talk with your doctor!!! Discuss whether or not it would be ok to keep at it while pregnant.  Sometimes, things like high blood pressure or carrying multiples makes the decision to not run for you.  If you are having an uncomplicated healthy pregnancy then with the doctors approval keep at it!

Now that the doctor is on board and you got your ok here are some tips to remember while logging those miles.

HYDRATE!!! As a runner hydration is important but even more so as a mama runner.  Always go out fully hydrated and remember to stop and take many water breaks.  Even if you are not thirsty, being hydrated is important.  Especially later in pregnancy as if you are dehydrated it can cause contractions, which from experience are not fun to run through ;)

Fuel.  Remember to add an extra snack or two in on days when you run.  You do not want to effect the natural and healthy weight gain of pregnant mama.  And well I would be lying to you if I said I didn't use extra ice cream on nights where I log some serious miles.  Not to mention my husband has perfected his oven backed "fried" pickle recipe three rounds in.  :)

Keep a conversation and stay cool.  When pregnant you really don't want to push it.  You want your heart rate to stay in the safe zone. Best way to check this is to talk.  If you can keep a conversation while running you are in the safe zone.  This means that you probably will start to notice that your pace slows.  That's ok!!! Your 10 min mile is not a 12 min one. YOU ARE RUNNING FOR TWO, it really is ok!!! It took me awhile to accept this.  I would go out for a run and come back defeated with my time, time that I had worked so hard to make.  My husband would just hand me an ice cream sundae and whisper you ran and are growing a human! You are bad ass right now regardless of your time.  After a few months of this, now at
31 weeks in I am ok with my slowing time, especially since I am now slow enough to catch the facial reactions when people realize I am running pregnant.  It is great entertainment!

Listen to your body. Lastly, as runners we tend to run through discomfort and niggles.  DON'T! As you progress your body produces more Relaxin, which is a hormone that loosens your joints and ligaments to prepare for birth.  So your knees, lower back and hips are all going to be looser and more susceptible to injury.  Take some walk breaks if you need to or a few days off.  It really is ok to be lazy if your body needs you to be! Enjoy some ice cream (can you tell what my craving is tonight?!) while wrapped up on the couch under the race t-shirt quilt you had made :)




4 comments:

  1. All great tips!! And if I were pregnant I would definitely be rewarding my running with some serious ice cream :) You rock. I couldn't run when I was pregnant, it just wasn't comfortable for me. My boys were very low and I felt like any move would cause them to come falling out...I definitely admire that you are able to keep up the running! You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love ice cream so any excuse ;)

      Delete
  2. Love this! I'm 13 weeks pregnant with my third! I didn't run with my other two but for this one I've completed the 17.75 Marine Corps race plus 3 half marathons in my first trimester! I did my final race on Mother's Day...just 5K's for me now! I love seeing other Moms who are running...everyone keeps asking me if it's okay...my doctor is amazing and very supportive! I can't wait to read about how your comeback! I have a half scheduled for 4 months after the baby is born!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. amazing!!! I too am contemplating a half 4 months after baby!!!

      Delete