Saturday, January 10, 2015

Week One

Week one is done and with it the start of the epic journey to being able to say that I have completed a marathon.  I really want to do my very best to document this so that I can truly see where I grew, when I changed and what lessons I have learned along the way.

This week was hard, super hard.  Our mild winter weather took a turn and became extremely cold at the start of the week.  Which meant my lovely little mild running days (yes two weeks ago I was still wearing shorts!) came to an abrupt halt and I was immediately thrown into layers, frozen eyelashes and globs of Vaseline.  

To make matters worse the cold also brought ice.  Ice brings slippery roads and slippery roads bring falls.  I wiped out hard on Wednesday's run.  I am OK or I was OK, just bruised and very sore with very limited mobility in my right arm.  I still ran Thursdays 3 miles and kept stretching to stay loose.  Then Friday afternoon, I fell again TWO more times.  This time in a driveway while carrying the baby in her car seat.  She is OK, she was just very very scared and startled.  I was again sore, but this time on my left side and mostly my leg.  

I still set out on my long run Saturday morning.  Not more than 5 steps in I knew it was going to be a hard long run.  My left quad was sore and I couldn't get into a good stride.  I decided to keep going to see if it got better with warming up.  It didn't.  I completed the 6 miles but walked a few times coming down the hills to give my quad some breaks.  It was starting to get super fatigued and very sore, hurting more during walking and much more during downhills.  At home I stretched, rolled and now have a slight limp.  I think I pulled something perhaps?  And will be taking a day or two off.  

So here it is the training recap:
I am doing a Hal Higdon plan for novice marathon runners.  It has me running 4 days a week.  To make things work with the kids and my husbands work schedule AND have as many opportunities as possible to run with a buddy I have chose to run Mondays. Wednesdays and Thursdays then do a long run on Saturday morning.  This schedule is nice because Mondays and Saturdays I have flexibility on what time I can get out there and leaves me only two days where I have to do late night running.  

Monday's run this week I actually ended up moving to Tuesday because buying a new car interfered with getting out there, but I am hoping to not have 3 days in a row again.  

The Miles:
Tuesday 3 miles
Wednesday 3 miles 
Thursday 3 miles
Saturday 6 miles

The Weather:
Temps ranged from windchill values of -26 to 5 degrees.
There was sun, clouds and ice and snow fall.
Winds were gusty and strong

Gear:
Layers were really important. 
Vaseline for exposed skin was a must.
Yak Traks have been considered!!!
Tried out an amphibian water belt.

Routes:
Made many small loops for the short runs.
Took on a tough hill route for the long run.

Lessons Learned:
I am bruised and I am battered but I am proud.  I have actually set out to do this and despite some big obstacles, schedules not working and weather being super intense I managed to complete all the runs I had scheduled and I am still excited for more.  I learned that ice and running are a dangerous combo and that Epsom salt needs to be on hand and available always.  I have also learned that my mom keeps Epsom salt and has the perfect soaking tub.  She also has
interest in spending time with my monsters so tub soaks over there are an option! Vaseline really helps protect exposed cheeks and any mental games you can play will keep your mind off the cold AND the miles.  Running with buddies is a welcome joy and makes stepping out into the cold easier if you know they are waiting for you.  The foam roller and I will probably end up having an affair some day over the love I have developed for it and I need to start experimenting with fueling.  I have never used any sort of fuel before and will need to test to see what works best.  

Are you training for something?  How did your training week go?  What fuel is your go to?

7 comments:

  1. Which marathon are you training for? I assumed that you've run a marathon before! I love following bloggers who document their training journey, so I'm along for the ride!

    I'm currently training for half #11, the Sarasota Half Marathon in March. No big deal, right? But there will be that infamous Florida humidity to deal with. I've also set a goal of sub-2 for myself...it's been over a year since I've seen that! Heat and humidity are not my friend! We'll see...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Wendy it's my first!!! I have run two halves but that is it for distance running for me! I am doing the Maine Coast in May. Nothing like views of the coast of Maine to get you through some serious miles! Fantastic goal!!! I am cheering for you!!!

      Delete
  2. My training for marathon number 3 starts in just a month. Please take it easy, especially if this is your first. Injuries in the first week are no Bueno! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle!! I will I promise! I will definetely be following along for your training to look for tips and advice!

      Delete
  3. Great job girl...you definitely need some yaktrax! No more falls allowed!! I can't wait to see how this plays out for you. Looks like you've got a great plan. You can totally do this mama!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue!!! I appreciate all of your support!! I hope the plan works and I am treating race day as a day of fun! I also plan to run to all the fuel stations then walk through them while fueling. We will see if this works for me!

      Delete
    2. You have a great attitude, just stick with it! Wish I was doing this with you! When is it again? :)

      Delete