Monday, March 2, 2015

Marathon Monday and I dropped the ball

It's Marathon Monday and I totally dropped the ball.  I forgot to get this weeks feature set up, I wish I had.  I look forward to reading them so much! Looks like, I may be in over my head just a bit around here.  Marathon training, three kids, a house, babysitting and recently added head of the Father/Daughter Dance committee and it will be awhile before I get a breather.  But I can do it right?
Of course I can! I can do anything, I believe in.  Which I am proving as training ramps up.  Speaking of training week 8 is in the books, ran, learned from and moving forward.  What a bizarre week.  I thought I was going to OWN it, it was going to just be a breeze but I was wrong.  And since my long run from week 7 was on a Sunday I put down some serious (37.5 to be exact) miles this week.

Marathon Training Week 8:

The Miles:

Tuesday ~ 3.1
Wednesday ~ 6
Friday ~ 2
Saturday ~ 14

The Weather:

Can't even begin to remember.  It is pretty much just more and more of the same.  I am really hoping signs of spring are around the corner!

Routes:

Same old same old.  Treadmill boringness and little back and forth and around and around loops where it is safe enough to run.  While the hills are mentally making me want to vomit, I know it is some of the best training I can get.

Gear:

Other than the minimalist shoes that I should NEVER have tried to run in, nothing new was added this week.  I revisited the Honey Stinger and really liked them!  My mom did make me some homemade face balm for running in the cold and wind and I really enjoyed the scent of the lemon essential oil she added.  Also, I made some homemade deodorant that I tested this week.  It worked pretty well and I will probably stick with it!

Lessons Learned:

My biggest lesson was DON'T be an idiot, train smart.  I was stupid on my 6 miler Wednesday.  I headed to the gym but forgot my sneakers.  So when I dropped the kids off I borrowed my moms.  Problem?  They were minimalist shoes.  VERY minimal.  So, instead of maybe walking, or using an elliptical I just went for it.  Pounded out 6 miles.  And while I was at it, bothered my shins.  Seriously, not my smartest idea.  Lesson two?  Don't be STUBBORN.  Me? Stubborn? Never! Except, I am.  Very much so.  I had 3 miles to do Friday, so I laced up and headed out.  My shins started bothering me right away.  A 1/2 mile in I knew I wasn't going to make all three.  But I kept going, hobbling through and walking some.  I managed to get 2 in.  I shouldn't have.  I should have bailed at the 1/2 mile marker and just let those miles go.  But in my head they were ON the calendar they HAD to be done.  Luckily, the mistakes of being an idiot and stubborn didn't get in the way of my long run and I was able to get a 14 miler in at marathon pace.  

Have YOU ever pushed through when you really knew it would be better to stop? 

8 comments:

  1. OMG, all the time! I'm not good at calling it quits. Because usually my legs find their way...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! OK... I bought a pair of minimalist shoes just to walk around... could not even do that. Sent them back the next day... :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I pulled my achilles during a long run in 2013, just coming off finishing my second marathon. I kept telling myself nothing would stop me, so kept going...yeah, that was dumb. Ended up down for the count for months because of it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pulled mine during a half when will we listen to ourselves?

      Delete
  4. Oh no!! Ice those shins and get some compression socks on them!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Good advice thank you!!! Now can you tell me where my other compression sock is? It is lost in this house!!!

      Delete