Thursday, April 23, 2015

Figuring more of me out! Weeks 14 and 15

When things get tough, when I start to doubt, when I feel alone, when I need a hug but can't ask, when I am scared, when I find that there is a chance I may fail.  I hide.  I withdraw and get quiet and lazy with making time to write.  My marathon training is winding down and yet now I am finding it harder and harder to put the training weeks up on the blog.  To write about them. To dig deep and
discover what they are telling me.  I am finding that I am burying them.  Running the miles and then forgetting about my thoughts while out there.  Which is funny.  I just came off a back injury, I am seeing a chiropractor three days a week and I missed most of week 14.  Only getting in two runs, thankfully one of which was a long 16 miler.  I should be thrilled to be back running and sticking with training.  I should be ecstatic that I hit a 16 miler, 16 whole miles with the help of some running friends coming off that back injury yet, I hid.  Following that week, I had one of the MOST enjoyable training weeks.  Nailing every run and finding myself doing it alone.  Just me.  The first time ever going over 10 with out having some chunk of my run with a buddy.  All of this leads me to believe I am way more conflicted about running this marathon than I thought I was.  I need some time to sort things out.

Marathon training week 14:

The Miles:
Wednesday 6.57
Saturday 16.02

The Routes:
Same old same old.  Circles of the local roads that I have been training on for the last 13 weeks.  Up and down the same roads.  I have come to know every pot hole, puddle, dog and most likely area to wave to kids or say hello to someone doing yard work.

Weather: 
Spring for the most part really is here.  It hasn't been super warm but it's been getting there.  Saturday morning I headed out early and was greeted by the chirping birds and the sun. No snow, which was a first for this training cycle :)

Gear:
No changes, although I am having sock problems and am struggling to find a good pair for long distances.

Lessons Learned:
I can make come backs.  Just because I have these little set backs doesn't mean that I can't push
through.  I can run long and I can do it without crying.  This 16 miler was much different from the first one, in fact after it I felt like I could go another 10.  HUGE gains in believing in myself :)






Marathon Week 15 training:

The Miles:
Tuesday 8.01
Thursday 16.01
Friday 9.01
Saturday 3.01

The Routes:
OH MY GOODNESS these routes!!!!! I had an opportunity to travel down to Newport, RI with my husband on his business trip.  I am forever thankful that family and friends stepped in and helped me out with the kids so that I could go.  I woke up Thursday morning kid less and alone with no plans.  I smiled, I knew that I had the whole day before me to run, so why not do my Saturday long run.  I talked with some locals and made a plan.  I set out and just ran.  I ran down Bellevue Avenue.  Home of the Newport Mansions.  The views of these summer "cottages" from the Guilded Age were just breathtaking.  Then I hit the end and turned onto the Cliff Walk.  Those Mansions I just saw the back of?  Yeah I was now in front of them.  Sandwiched between the centuries old houses and the Atlantic Ocean.  I was in pure joy.  So much in fact, I went right back out less than 24 hours later to run the route again with my husband.  I still can't get over those views.



Weather:
SPRING!!!!! In fact, Tuesday's run I ended up in just a tank top and it was so delightful to be down to minimum layers! The long run in Newport on Thursday was just sun and sea and so soul searchingly delightful.  Even the rain on Friday, the pouring rain for all 9 miles was spring like.  The head winds not so much but I was running in the rain on the coast and I was happy.


Gear:
Running alone in a new place, especially after my little "run in" that happened on my own turf Tuesday night I donned an alarm.  A little clip that when removed lets out a piercing alarm.  It was easy to run with, however, I forgot it was there.  Let's just say that I couldn't hear out of my left ear for a few days after I tried undressing.  I forgot it was on and when I took my shirt off it set ripped the alarm off and it went off in my ear.  Fun times :)

Lessons Learned:
I had the strongest week running ever.  Tuesdays 8 miler was beautiful.  I stopped to enjoy the deer, the sun set and the peepers.  (My first official sign of spring!!!) I had a small scare when I was running behind the main road and I was surrounded by three bigger than me high school boys.  My first thought was I can't out run them, my second I should have mace or my alarm on me.  But it didn't take me long to realize that in the dusk they simply thought I was much younger than my years and were actually hitting on me.  Which then sent me back home amused and in awe of the
confidence of high school boys.  Lesson, run in the safe lights and bring alarms or mace.  Thursdays 16 miler was done COMPLETELY alone.  Just me, the sun and the sea.  No music, no conversation.  It was the first time that I had ever done over 10 without having some chunk of my run with a running buddy.  I had the mental toughness to do it.  To stick it out. To overcome fears of being alone in a place I didn't know.  To run blind and "naked"  It was freeing!

Have you ever run in Newport?  I had a total love affair with the routes there and can not wait to go back! 

4 comments:

  1. That story about the high school boys is kind of creepy. What if you were a teenage girl? What did they have in mind? Nowadays, you just can't be too safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree - definitely stay safe!

    What kind of socks are you wearing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so great to hear your running in Newport was so wonderful. Isn't it gorgeous? I've been wearing Thorlo Pads socks that I get at Runner's Alley. I've worn them for half marathons as well as a full marathon and they are terrific. Good luck with the next phase of your training!

    ReplyDelete