Tuesday, April 30, 2013

StReAkInG!

Streaking to a runner is a bit different than streaking to a college frat boy.  I am NOT running naked around the block, down the road or around campus.  I am running EVERY day.  Every single day I am lacing up the sneaks and hitting the pavement running.  In fact when Running on the Fly, initiated the challenge to streak the month of April, I had already run the last two days of March, so today marks 32 days of streaking.  Some days I am logged some miles and most days I just did my mandatory at least one mile.  Some of those one miles days were done as fast as I could and some were just slow comfort miles.  I have run alone, with partners and pushing my littles.  I have run in the cold, the wind, the snow, the dark, the morning, the night and the gorgeous spring sunshine.

Halfway through April, my legs were TIRED.  Even on my one mile days I could feel how heavy they were and how slow I had become.  I wanted to end the streak, I wanted a running break, but I stuck with it.  Something, however, has changed in this last week of April.  As the finish line to the challenge approached the more I WANTED to run.  In fact this past weekend I took on 2 of the hilliest 5k courses I have ever come across. Back to back, Saturday AND Sunday and I PR'd both times.  Out on those hills, I actually laid down my two fastest 5ks EVER! In fact, according to my trusty Nike + app my average mile for the month of April is 35 seconds FASTER than my average mile in March.  I have logged twice as many miles, yet I am somehow faster?!

Before the streak, I was a huge promoter of rest days.  Running just 3-4 days a week.  However, I think I may have had a change of heart.... I think that my streak may continue for as long as I am still loving it.  How about you?  Ever streak? Want to streak? Streaking thoughts?

Off to run :0)

2 comments:

  1. I'm a new runner....and have long pondered how many days a week that I should be running. Hmmm Your post is food for thought!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to running! My only advice would be listen to your body. And just go with what feels good and comfortable :0) thanks for being my first commenter!!!

      Delete