Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Dear Future Marathoner

Dear Future Marathoner,

They say that the person who starts the 26.2 is not the same person that finishes it.  Is that true?  Who were you when you started and who are you now? I can't
tell you who you are going to be when you cross that finish line in 18 weeks after completing a 26.2 mile run.  I am not even sure I can tell you who you are right now to be completely honest.  I know that you are not the person you were yesterday, and you made yourself better today and have plans for tomorrow.  I know that right this very minute you are scared, anxious, nervous and afraid of making a complete fool out of yourself.

You still let the fat girl in your head win sometimes.  You still let society and media make you feel like an inadequate runner.  You question your abilities and
your sanity.  You compare yourself to the real runners and the ones who actually look like a runner.  Yet get this, you have grown so much, so very much.  Because you are letting yourself believe that it is possible.  Right now you have no doubt that some how, some way you will get your body across that line in May.  You have a hope and faith in YOURSELF.  Running has done that to you.  It has given you a sparkle of self awareness.  You know that you have done this before. Sure you haven't run 26.2 miles before but you have been standing there never thinking it would be possible to run, or to run a 10k, or to run a half.  And each time you made a decision to do something that seemed impossible you have found that you can push the limits and accomplish your goal.

So, as your training journey is kicked off with sub zero temps and hard falls on ice you know that you can pick yourself up, warm yourself from within, put your
head down and push.  In 18 weeks you changed.  You changed so very much.  Your sparkle is bigger, you know you can go further and you have discovered more things about the person that YOU are supposed to be.  You are turning into YOURSELF more and more.  You are even learning that you have a love, a love for yourself.  And it is so fitting that this is the year that you have determined to Finally Love Yourself (FLY) and make it epic because I have a feeling that the person reading this in 18 weeks will have made some leaps into accomplishing these goals.

So Future Marathoner, please come back and visit me.  Visit the me I am right now.  The one sitting here bruised and sore from the fall while out on training run #2 today.  The one wearing your husband's oversized shirt, curled up in bed with the laptop and a wish for an ice cream sundae.  Visit me and give me a giant hug and let me know how much you appreciate me for signing up for the Maine Coast Marathon, for beginning what I am pretty sure is going to be one epic journey.  I can not wait to see what discoveries are made, what person emerges and how much love you can have for YOURSELF.



Sincerely,
The one scared shitless for setting you out on this journey in the first place.

Have you run a marathon?  How did it change you?  Any advice for me??

6 comments:

  1. I've attempted 7 and finished 5 marathons in the past 4 years. They do change you, challenge you, and push you beyond what you think you are capable of. Just remember that it is 90% mental after your training. Trust your training, stay out of your head during the race, and enjoy the experience. You'll notice as you run the first mile always stinks (every single time you run!!!), then the first group of miles will feel easy, you'll hit a wall but you'll have to push through it (mines between 14-18), then once you push through your last set will be tough but your best because the distance is distances you are very comfortable with and can run in your sleep! :) When you finish you'll feel like you can lift a car, eat a horse, and sleep for days all at the same time. Take the next day to recoup if it's your first one. You can do it Christina!!!!!!! Trust your training! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! Will I see you at Maine Coast this year?

      Delete
  2. OMG, you are going to have so much fun. Has it changed me? Sure, I now know that I can pretty much do anything. My last marathon SUCKED. I hated every second in the moment, but looking back it made me a stronger runner. You have so much spirit and determination that I have no doubt you will kick the Maine Coast in the rear. Just make sure you don't set very lofty goals. The goal of the first one is to just finish. You've got this!! Let me know if you ever have any questions!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue!!! I appreciate it! I do NOT have any other goals other than doing my best to try to reach the finish. I have even planned in walking breaks and will stop and take pictures if I see something which on the Maine Coast I am sure I will!

      Delete
  3. I have ran 2 full marathons, and start training for my 3rd in just one month. Training for and completing a marathon is truly life changing as cliché as it sounds. You've got this my friend!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michelle!!! I will be following along with your training!!!

      Delete