Monday, January 19, 2015

Marathon Monday! ~ Mary

We all have reasons we run, reasons why we set out to do what is initially thought of as impossible.  Running can be an escape, a coping mechanism or some sort of instrument to prove that you are enough, that you can do things, that YOU are worth it.

We all set out on these self discovery journies and sometimes the reason we start running is not the reason we continue running.  Sometimes, the reason we start isn't enough to keep us going but the reason to keep going quickly becomes apparent.

Over time the reason why doesn't matter because there is a love for the run, for the road, for the feeling of fresh air that washes over you.  Then sometimes there is a love AND a reason.  A passion.

Meet Mary.  A runner who started to lose weight but now runs for a cause.  A runner who used running to prove herself and who found true love while doing what she was told she couldn't do.

Hi my name is Mary. I'm 32 and I live in CT. I started running about 10 years ago. I just wanted to lose weight but somehow I ended up loving running. I had, since I started to run, aspirations one day of running a marathon. Yet it never seemed  to happen.


About three years ago I was in a relationship and I discussed with my former boyfriend the desire to run a marathon. He seriously doubted the fact that I could do it. After a very upsetting and stressful break up I decided I needed to run that marathon to redeem myself and also yes to prove him wrong.


In running my first marathon I ended up
meeting my future husband he was running his third I was running my first our second date actually was the marathon. I have run 4 marathons since then including the New York City Marathon last November ( my dream race).


Shortly before I ran New  York my mother started experiencing some health issues. After encouraging her to go to the doctor we discovered that she had an aggressive form of uterine cancer. My mother had already battled cancer 12 years ago. She battled and won against stage four colon cancer and for 12 years with cancer free.


It was absolutely crushing the idea that this woman who had already suffered through a catastrophic disease was facing it yet again. I needed something positive to come from this upsetting and depressing news so I decided to run a marathon, not only to run a marathon but to raise money for cancer research. Though the amount that I'm raising is not in the millions I hope it will do some good. I have a purpose and what I am doing each and every run is dedicated to someone that I know who is giving me the name of a person that has died or is currently battling cancer every single mile is dedicated to beating cancer.


My mother amazes me every day with her graciousness and compassion, in spite of dealing with such an unfair disease.
Through her surgery and now subsequent chemotherapy she has always tried to keep a happy face though she freely admits there are days when she is scared. She relies on her faith and her children and her eight grandchildren to carry her through. At the end of my marathon my mother will be given my metal and my bib will have the name her grandchildren call her on it.


Just knowing that when I'm running my marathon my mom will be all done with

chemo it is an amazing thought. That she will have experienced such aggressive treatment and will be there meeting me at the finish line is something I look forward too.


Thank you for letting me share mine and my mother's story with all of you.  I hope that no one else has to experience this disease ever again.

If you would like to help Mary raise money for cancer research please visit  WWW.fredsteam.org and type in Mary Vallely.

Have you ever started running for one reason and then found another to keep running?  Have you ever proved to those who thought you couldn't that you CAN indeed?

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful story!! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete