Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Week 2- Mental Games

Marathon Training:  Week 2

After the falls and triumphs of the first week of training, week two brought no embarrassing moments
or bumps and bruises. It was mostly, anticlimactic, the thrill of starting something new had worn off and unfortunately the doubts of can I actually do this set in.

Mind games those were my obstacle this week.

The Miles:

Monday 3.5
Wednesday 3.08
Friday: 3.1
Sunday: 7

The Weather:

Like typical Maine weather fashion, just when you think you had it figured out, it changes. They layers I had accumulated and perfected for last weeks run were thrown aside. I had to start over as a heat wave rolled through. Monday's run kicked off the week with a balmy 28 degrees. And Sunday's long run had temps in the 40's YES 40's!!! I even contemplated after a few hours of rest after the 7 miler heading BACK out because one simply does NOT ignore temps like that in Maine in January. This week was the week I also noticed that it is staying lighter LONGER!!!!! My sister in law so graciously came and sat with the kids so Wednesday's run was done in the day light. I left at 4:15 and it was light the whole time!

Gear:

I didn't add anything new to my wadrobe, took away some layers though! I acquired a very special headband that my grandmother knit for me and I LOVED it in place of a hat on these warmer days. I also have decided to skip the Vaseline and use my beloved coconut oil instead. I just like the idea of putting something natural on my face instead of a petroleum product.  This was also the week I tried Fueling for the very first time on my long run.  I choked down a Gu before I left,  I barely, BARELY got it down so I knew right then and there I would not be able to do it WHILE I was running.  I chose to grab the Shot Bloks to try while I was out there.  These were ok,
hard to chew however, I think if it were warm they would have been even gooier.  So I am still on the look out for what works best for me.  And of course I fell back on my love of Nuun when I got home, I am thinking of starting to carry it with me while I am running.  

Routes:

Kept is the same and didn't mix things up too much. The long run on Sunday we went out in the opposite direction but still had some hills to contend with. (Where in Maine aren't there hills?)

Lessons Learned:


This week I learned just how tough those mental games are going to be. If the doubt is already creeping in and I am not even pushing limits yet then it's going to get tough. I also learned just how much of a running geek I am when I realized how absolutely giddy the lingering daylight made me, knowing that most people weren't even noticing the difference yet ;)  

No comments:

Post a Comment