Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Week 3 ~ An awesome boost!

After last weeks mental games and the load of doubts that crept in I knew going into this third week was going to be tough.  With winter and kids and sickness, I was already burnt out with training.  I was simply just tired and did NOT want to be out there.  But BUT BUUUUUUT then I some absolutely wonderful, fantabulous news and I remembered that by me getting out there and doing what I do, I am potentially inspiring others to get out there and dicover self love for themselves.  It didn't hurt that I was also told I was accepted as a Girls Gone Sporty Ambassador!!!!  Want to know what is even MORE perfect?  The Girls Gone Sporty moto for 2015 is Pushing Your Boundries, Challenging Your Expectations!!! Could that BE any more perfect for pursuing a marathon finishing dream? (I really hope a few of you read that last sentence with a Chandler Bing voice in your head.....)  Having this message in my email was a huge help in getting me out there and thinking that yes YES I can do this.  It also gave me the extra boost to dream even BIGGER and apply to be #AMRinSaucony!!! Now I am really really REALLY hoping that by some slight miracle of a chance this small town Maine mama is chosen for that role!!!! 
received

MarathonTraining: Week 3

The Miles:

Monday: 3 miles
Wednesday: 4.01 miles
Thursday: 3.01 miles
Saturday: 5.07 miles

The Weather: 

The weather moved back into what winter in Maine feels like.  It was sub zero but it wasn't balmy either.  Saturday brougt in a a snow storm that started much earlier than predicted, so that I actually
ran in 2-3 inches of snow on the ground and no plowed streets or sidewalks.  It was actually really nice and peaceful to be out there with my sister who happened to join me.  It was like a true winter wonderland!

Gear:

This week was a cut back week and the long run wasn't so long.  I didn't add any gear or do anything really different.  I did chew another Shot Blok during the 5 miler because I wanted to practice chewing and running.  I also used an elliptical machine to get the 4 miler done.  I had two sick kids and a very gracious friend who insisted I come over get my sweat on and my sick kids could play with her sick kids while I was doing it.


Routes:

Routes were all little and over and over this week.  Monday's run I did via small laps up and down
my street while I could hear the two older kids on speaker phone and my husband was working in the barn.  I would swing in every .25 miles to get snacks, or help with potty breaks, or get down puzzles. Saturdays snow run I ran each and every little dead end street in the area until I got to 5 miles.  Thank goodness my sister was along for that one or I may have lost my mind.


Lessons Learned: 

This week I learned that there are little mental boosts everywhere.  The little surprises you find in your inbox can go along way.  I also learned that the old adage of it takes a village definetly rings true for a mom who is also training for a marathon.  I realized this on Thursday's run.  The youngest two had been sick since Sunday.  The fevers were not going away and I hadn't left my house or had arms that were void of a baby in days, DAYS!!!! Wednesday I had the help of a wonderful friend and fellow mama but Thursday I had the help of my own mama.  She came over, picked the oldest up at school and walked in with homemade soup, bread and the offer to watch all the kids while I went for a run!!! Oh boy was that little mental break much needed!!!! I also have to thank my sister for coming over in a snow storm to run with me so I wouldn't be lonly out there.  Like I said, it takes a village.  Oh and the best way to warm up after running in the snow? A snow day couch snuggle with your sleeping baby. :)

What about you, do you get help from your village? What little surprises have you found helpful in pushing you through your training?




2 comments:

  1. YEY!! Congratulations!! So excited for you and happy that your training is going well. You will have lots of ups and downs during training and many times where you want to quit, but it is ALL worth it in the end!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue! It is such a mental roller coaster already!

      Delete