Monday, January 5, 2015

Marathon Monday

Marathon Monday, in just a few short months the ever popular and famous Boston Marathon will be kicked off.  The Boston Marathon is often a dream race, so many dreaming of getting a BQ or a charity bib in order to run the highly sought after 26.2 miles into Boston.  

This Monday I would like you to meet Meagan, who will get to live this dream and set out to complete her 26.2 on a very special Monday in April.  

Hello from New Hampshire!
Talk about the right winter to train for the Boston Marathon…so far! It’s still weird to even think about Boston, never mind the butterflies I get every time I get to say, “I’m running the 2015 Boston Marathon!” Before this year, I never stepped foot outside to run, once late fall showed up here in New Hampshire. I would jumped on the treadmill once in a while, but nothing serious, and certainly nothing outside in the cold and the snow…brrrr! But this year, things have changed!


I’ve never considered myself a runner. I played soccer growing up and even in college, but running then was always a “punishment". When we lost a game, when we didn’t practice hard enough, when it was the dreaded “fitness day” . I didn’t start running for “fun” until I graduated college. I remember feeling free- I could run when I wanted, how fast I wanted, and wherever I wanted. Man did it feel great. Not physically at first, that’s for sure, but mentally there was something almost euphoric about logging miles. I took on my first marathon in 2005, the December after I graduated from college. I wasn’t fast by any stretch, but I was hooked on running! (It didn’t hurt that at the finish line of that race, the Nike Women’s Marathon in San Francisco, that a handsome man in a tuxedo gave me…ok, all finishers, haha…a Tiffany’s necklace instead of a finisher’s medal!)


Fast forward almost 10 years since those first steps training for my first race, I’ve come so
far. I’ve run many half marathons, a handful of 5k’s, and I even ran the Hartford (CT) Marathon in 2007. I got a job teaching 7th grade (which I still love…call me crazy!), I married the love of my life in 2009 and I’ve had two handsome (and energetic) boys (now 4 and almost 2 years old). Running has kept me busy…in a good way! It keeps me healthy, gives me the opportunity to run with my boys (though I think stroller running is the hardest thing ever!), and helps me set goals that I can work toward achieving. 

Which brings me to my 2015 goal…to successfully fundraise for an amazing organization and run the Boston Marathon!! I will be taking on the 26.2 miles of the 2015 Boston
Marathon to support the Greater Boston Chapter of the National Spinal Cord Injury Association. This amazing group does important work for many people in my community and beyond. First and foremost, they provide support from the moment of injury. They offer hope through one-on-one support, understanding, and guidance. No other entity provides this depth of support. The group works to RISE: Reach, Inspire, Support and Empower all those affected by a spinal cord injury through their nationally recognized Peer Visitation Program. Staff members and trained volunteers, who have successfully navigated post spinal cord injury life, serve as mentors to help the newly injured, and their families to better understand what happened, transition back into the community and meet their goals of leading a fulfilling life.

I have a fundraising goal of $4000 to support this amazing foundation. Whether you know someone directly affected by a spinal cord injury or not, I’m sure you’ll agree that this cause is a worthy one. If you’re willing to support my fundraising efforts, I'd be more than appreciative. Information on how to donate is listed below.


I truly appreciate you taking the time to read my story. I guess now, though it’s taken me 10 years…I consider or should consider myself a runner. I’ve learned that if you’re running 1 mile or 100 miles…a 6 minute pace or an 11 minute pace…you’re still a runner because you choose to run. I will continue to choose to run…today, tomorrow, and long after I cross the finish line at this year’s Boston Marathon (there are those butterflies again!).
Sincerely,
Maegan Koelker
Newmarket, NH


Donation checks in any amount can be made out to: Greater Boston Chapter-NSCIA and mailed to me (please email me for my mailing address Maegan.Koelker@gmail.com). There’s also an online link available for fundraising: http://sciboston.com/meet-boston-marathon-runners/
Visit that link and at the bottom of the page, click the blue box that says "click here to help raise funds for our runners!"...then fill in the form...please put Maegan Koelker in the "honor/memorial information" section at the bottom of the form.



sciboston.com
Click here to help raise funds for our runners!

1 comment:

  1. Though this has always been a perplexing replica watches rationale because you can't buy a watch in a magazine or newspaper either - which represent most of the print publications that many watch brands are replica watches used to advertising in. Last, the news of Rolex advertising on YouTube is a sign that luxury brands can perhaps relax their conservative stance on ad placements. It has often been felt that the location of an advertisement is replica watches sale as important or more important than the marketing message itself. This debatable concept has kept luxury ads in mostly the same type of "sanitary," and often low circulation publications. With the video replica watches hosting site's contextual placement of ads, Rolex has not only said that a venue like YouTube is appropriate for their brand, but they have also replica watches opted to lose control of precisely what content their ads appear next to.

    ReplyDelete