Thursday, April 30, 2015

And now we TAPER....

And now, now things are seeming all too real.  I just finished up my last week of real training. And I am officially in taper mode for the next two weeks.  The nerves are kicking in as is the little voice of doubt that lives in my head.  I am doing my best to keep it at bay but I know I am under trained and it knows exactly what to say to strike the fear of a DNF in my heart.

Marathon Training Week 16:

The Miles:
Tuesday ~ 6.5 miles
Wednesday Morning ~ 1.76 miles (then limped and cried home)
Wednesday Afternoon ~ 2.52 miles (first time ever pushing the youngest two while my oldest rode her bike!)
Friday ~ 4.5 miles
Saturday ~ 5.01 miles (Baby Shower and a Birthday party had me splitting the 10 to make time for it all)
Saturday Evening ~ 4.73 miles (again with the hip problem ahhhhh!)

The Routes:
Same ole boring home routes.  Yet I was dreaming of the Newport routes and reliving them in my mind as I ran along.  It was also so amazing to have a route that I could take all the kids on with me.

Weather:
Still below average for the temps! It isn't cold compared to January running but I wish it was warmer.  I would love to have it the temp that makes you just want to run and run and run and run.  I am hoping that it warms soon and that May 10th is a spectacular spring day!

Gear:
Same as ever.  I didn't even use an fuel.  Which makes me a bit nervous.  I do not feel confident in my plans for fueling yet....

Lessons Learned:
What a week this was.  The excitement of being done the toughest part of training and the anxiety of knowing I am slightly under trained.  The fear of a DNF is real, especially after finishing this week with some hip problems.  I am not sure how or why they started but I have now run a few times where I come limping home to ice, rest, and roll taking a day or two off and then testing out the hip again.  I have learned to listen to my body.  It doesn't matter if you have a sitter for the kids, that you inconvenienced them to watch your kids so you could run.  If you are hurting than STOP, come home and just let it go.  I have also learned that there is a difference between sticking with a dream and goal and being stupidly stubborn.  See it is the end of the money and I am close, close to having a 100 mile month.  And you know what?  I have to let it go.  Running an extra three miles isn't going to help me, my hip or my goal of running the marathon.  It is OK if my monthly mileage falls short.  It doesn't make me a real runner to have 100 miles this month.  It makes me a real runner because I know I AM a runner because I run and I am starting to be smart enough about the running to heal some injuries and not just keep pushing through.  Before I was a runner, before I let myself acknowledge that title I would make excuse after excuse as to why it wasn't good to run that day, that night, that weekend.  Today, I fight the opposite battle.  I have to recognize that these are NOT excuses for not running but legit reasons to stop for the day, the night or that weekend.  My body is adjusting to the miles, and still nursing a baby.  It is recovering from a pregnancy and birth and still trying to build endurance.  I am putting it through a lot and if my hip, or back or even soul just needs a break then I need to take it.  I am NOT failing I am growing.

Speaking of taking the stroller out with me, who is going to participate in National Stroller Running Day on May 31st?

3 comments:

  1. You are going to finish. Take these 2 weeks to rest. You've got the money in the bank!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its going to hurt. You are going to have aches and pains like you've never had before. You are going to doubt yourself.

    And on race day, you are going to DIG DEEP, and YOU. ARE. GOING. TO. FINISH!!!!
    Believe it my friend. And keep movin' forward...one step at a time.

    XOXOXOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  3. YEA GIRL!!! Great attitude!! And like Michelle said, it's a marathon, you will hurt, but I know you can do it. Rest that hip, roll and RELAX. What will be will be. You've got this!

    ReplyDelete