Friday, March 27, 2015

Friday Five!!! Let's talk about food.

This Friday (yay really thank goodness Friday is here!!!!!), I was hesitant to link up with the DC Trifecta of You Signed Up for What?!, Mar on the Run and Eat Pray Run DC to talk about Five Favorite Spring time Foods.  Why?! Well, because I am not the best cook or meal planner.  My family is not all organic, paleo, vegan or any of the other hot topic food lifestyles.  We eat what is best for us and I cook it the best that I can.  With that being said, I wasn't going to write this Friday until sitting home with sick kid #2 while baby was napping I realized I do actually have something to write about.

Let's talk about boobs food.  Baby food or well more specifically breast feeding a baby.  Breastfeeding a baby in particular while training for a marathon.  While I was pregnant I wrote a few posts on running pregnant and "how to" do it.  I am by no means a doctor, a nurse, a lactation consultant or a medical professional in anyway.  I am just a mom, a runner and a breastfeeder.  I am not backed by any studies just what I have personally experienced.  Running while pregnant means you change up your training, your routes, your pace.  But having the baby and getting right back to where you are is not likely going to happen.  It took you 9 months to grow that baby, give your body time to get back ESPECIALLY if you are breastfeeding.  By breastfeeding your precious little energy sucker  bundle of joy your body is still not your own.  You are your babies nourishment and comfort.  Your body is producing food for your baby holding on to certain pregnancy hormones and trying to find a balance.  Running while doing this is EXTRA.  Your body is supporting the baby first, then you and then with that is left running.  So be kind to yourself, don't push yourself too hard or punish yourself when you feel like you aren't getting your pace and endurance back.

Here are my 5 tips for running and breastfeeding.

1) Hydration/Nutrition/Sleep: You have a new baby, you are training, YOU WILL NEVER SLEEP AGAIN and you will constantly be hungry.  Your body produces milk by taking the energy you put into it.  It is important to make sure that the calories you burn by running are replaced.  Getting adequate quantities of good fat, high protein food is important to keep your milk supply up while you train.  I feel like I am constantly eating.  Like starving all.the.time!!!! Almonds are my go to and ice cream is my staple night time snack ;) Hydration though is KEY! Drink DRINK DRIIINKKK (and no I am not frat party chanting).  Breast Milk is mostly made up of water.  Your body needs the water. Drink the water! Sleep yeah right, you won't.  But trying to is important.  This one I have yet to figure out since I run when the baby naps or late at night but one day I will sleep again I am sure ;)


2) Pumping/Nursing/Timing: Ahhh the timing of when to go out for a run, or to pump for it.  It is a constant battle of juggling.  I usually am always dressed and ready for a run since my running clothes are most comfortable.  I never know when the opportunity to run will present itself.  Usually, I run at night after I have put the baby to bed (for the first time).  Or I run during nap time if someone else is home.  But I always plan it so I can nurse the baby right before I go.  I either nurse and then transfer a sleeping baby, or nurse and then hand the baby off to Daddy to rock while I run.  This helps in two ways.  The first, it means you have the most time out there.  Usually at least an hour before you will have to nurse again (hello cluster feeding!).  Making the most of that time between sessions but it also means that you will have drained your milk making it as comfortable for you as possible too.  If I leave in the morning before the baby wakes I make sure to pump completely before I go.  Leaving enough milk for the baby to get what she needs and also again draining as much as I can for comfort. Hand pumps are great to have with you on race day too.  Often times you have to be there so early that it will allow you to pump right before you run if baby isn't there to feed.






3) Sports Bras: You need support.  In so many many different babies when you are trying to be a new mom, feed a baby and train for a race.  However, you literally need THE support.  Your boobs will be heavy and MUCH larger.  Especially, at first.  They are going to hurt and be uncomfortable but if you have a good supportive sports bra or TWO then it makes it much easier.  I have found that when I was training for my first half right after #2 was born that I had to run in THREE, yes THREE bras.  It was hot and a tad uncomfortable but it was what worked.  Coming into the finish line after my first 13.1 miles completely soaked from the never ending rain and exhausted made getting those three bras OFF as I was handed my medal and a baby who needed to nurse a tad tricky.  After, that fiasco I found Moving Comfort.  Not only do I only run in one bra now (and have the entire 9 months of nursing baby #3) but they clasp in the back making taking them off easier AND the straps actually are adjustable by amazing Velcro so it is possible to just take one side down and nurse a baby whether I am coming in from a training run or ending a race.


4) Routes: Routes will be important to plan.  Either for the ease of getting to (like right out your front door), so you can get right to running and not spending all of your precious time between nursing sessions traveling to your running route.  OR so that it will be easy and some what quick for you to come home if you are needed.  Babies eat on a schedule for the most part around 12 weeks BUT they can always throw a wrench in the mix and wake up early and be STARVING.  More than once I have been called home from a run to nurse a baby.  Sometimes I nurse the babe and then head right back out and sometimes I just call it a day.  I never know if my run will be a mile or 5 miles.


5) Flexibility: Just like when I was pregnant, it is not ME dictating my runs.  My body doesn't really belong to me during pregnancy or breastfeeding.  It is used as a source for nutrition and growth for my little miracle.  Which means I need to keep an open mind with planning my training or hitting the road.  My 10 mile run may have a phone call at mile 2 alerting me to a hungry baby.  Or my 1 mile me time may turn into a 5 mile vacation when the baby decides an extra long nap is good. I may only have time for 3 training runs that week not 4.  If you can roll with the punches, adapt to whatever schedule your baby puts you on for that day then you will find it easier to stay on top of your running.  Not expecting too much makes for an absolute thrilling feeling when you realize you can do more. :)



So here is the deal.  Can you train and breastfeed?  Of course if it is what YOU want.  If your baby is thriving, your supply is keeping up and you are happy then go for it!

What are some tips for breastfeeding and running that YOU have?  

4 comments:

  1. I have no children so I can not relate to this. However it's great that you are still as active while your breastfeeding feeding. I think many people make excuses when they have little ones and do not work out. -L

    ReplyDelete
  2. i don't have kids so can't weigh in on this but thanks for linking up and i know other mamas probably really appreciate this post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ran while breastfeeding both my boys for the first years of their lives! My best advice is the same as yours...hydrate adequately and buy the most supportive sports bra you can find. My normally small breasts blossomed to a DD and I had bruises on my shoulders from the straps. Kind of a funny memory, now that you think about it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I only breast fed while home on maternity leave from work, so can't really weigh in on this post, but can say GREAT job sticking with it!

    ReplyDelete