Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Is the time right?

Is it ever right?  Is timing ever perfect?  Will there be a point in time that everything that you want will be presented in a way that you KNOW the timing is actually PERFECT?  For me, personally I am going to go with, no.  There never is a perfect time.  Never a perfect time to start a family, make a career change, move across country, or start training for a dream.



I haven't always had a dream to run 26.2.  I haven't always been a runner either.  There was a point in time that I couldn't even run the .15 miles to the end of my street.  There was a point in time where a 5k left me completely sore, exhausted and doubting myself.  There was a point in time where 7 miles was a long run and the pride I had when completing it had me skipping home to tell my husband how awesome I was.  I have learned that I can and DO believe in myself.  I am learning to love myself and I love giving myself these challenges.  I knew in 2013 I wanted to run a marathon.  I wanted to try, I wanted to see if I could do it.  I signed up, I got pumped up for it and then I got pregnant.  Without my husband really even needing to point out the obvious I KNEW that running Maine Coast in 2014 was NOT going to happen.  The timing was not right.  For me, being new to those distances running 26.2 miles at 35 weeks pregnant was really not going to happen.  So I put it on hold.



Now, I am revisiting that goal.  I have a chance to run Maine Coast this May.  I am currently half way through training for it.  I know now more than ever it is something that I want to do for ME.  Is it easy? NOPE.  The winter training in Maine has thrown me for a loop. Being a mom to three is hard enough without letting myself remember to take care of ME too.  I whine, probably too much, yet I do not regret one single run.


It is all a balancing act right now.  I am learning how to balance ME and the kids.  Sure, the house has seen better days, and I cringe when I open the door when I come home from a run but it IS OK to let it go.  Yes, the kids get Saturday morning time with Daddy and not Mommy right now.  But I am with the every single day, running late at night when they go to bed during the week and leaving before they get up on Saturday morning.  I am not a fast runner at all but I finish up as soon as I can to get right back home to them.  Do I feel guilt about taking time away from them? Honestly, no.  And that may be me being selfish but I really need the time to find myself.  Being a mom to three is hard and if I didn't give myself an outlet, the time I did spend wouldn't be me being the best me I can be.


I am learning to balance, I am learning to take in criticism about being a mom to kids who are so young and taking the time out of their lives to train.  I KNOW that life is short, I KNOW that they need me.  I KNOW that they deserve everything and all of me.  But would it be better if they were older?  Could the timing for this be better?  Is it worth it to take the time from them now, or ever?  I don't know.  Whether they are 8 months or 18 they are still going to need me.  Am I taking time FROM them?  What about me?  What about who I am as an individual not as a mom.  If I wait is that actually helping them?  Is it teaching them to put their life and their dreams on hold for others?  Is that what I want to teach them?  Why isn't it OK to be a little selfish?  Why do I have to give everything I am to others?  Do I want them to do that too?  I don't think so.  I want them to LIVE, to LOVE and to BE themselves.  I want them to set goals and achieve them.  I want them to learn how to fight for something and to stick with it.  Not give up because life got too hard to juggle.  I want them to find something that they are passionate about. Something that they love and need and crave. And I want them to GO FOR IT.  And yes, I will be there, I will be there cheering them on and holding their hand.  JUST like they are doing for me.  I am showing them what it looks like to make small sacrifices and big goals.  I am showing them that you can do things if you believe you can.  I am showing them that whining and complaining is all good as long as you still love what you are doing just do it.


I don't know if it would ever be an "easier" time for me to train.  If the kids were older then they would have their activities on the calendar to contend with.  If I were older would I be able to do that or what other things like jobs, or aging parents, or grand kids take the place of my current time obstacles.

Is the time ever right?  You tell me.  What has gotten in the "way" of your goals?  Made your plans of accomplishing it harder?  How do you cope with life and training?  



19 comments:

  1. Great post! I'm not a mom, but sometimes worry that when I do become one it will put my dreams on hold. I have a goal of running a race in all 50 states and if I have kids I know it will just delay reaching that goal. Thanks for saying that moms should take some time for themselves - it's so true! Your kids will love seeing that in you and will remember it when they're older. And good luck training!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! When you run Maine I would love to cheer you on :)

      Delete
  2. Enjoyed reading this post :) I don't really think that there's ever a "right" time for anything, and that it will usually be a struggle to balance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Never the PERFECT time for any of life, it just happens and you balance it :)

      Delete
  3. I love the inspirational quotes throughout- My favorite quote re. timing of things is, "If not now...when?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Time and goals just for you are never selfish. You're a better mom because of that time you take for yourself. Run long mama!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The time is right if YOU say so!! You got this my friend!! It's your dream, so now go get it!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed reading this, such an inspiration! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do find myself thinking I'm selfish when I want 1 hour to go for a run! I think Mommies feel guilty about lots of things. However, we are being role models for our kids right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope so! And the constant guilt is overwhelming sometimes!

      Delete
  8. Great post my friend. You are right. There is never a good time and there are always excuses of why you shouldn't do it. I'm a believer that you have to take care of yourself before you can fully give yourself to others. It took me a long time to come to that realization, but it's true. Your self worth is so important and if you don't value yourself then you can't be a good mother. Complain away, we all do it, and it's ok! You are doing a great job of balancing and DO NOT ever feel guilty. You are such a great role model for those kiddos!! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks my friend! I appreciate you and your support and comments!

      Delete
  9. I think the timing is never right to chase a big goal. Accomplishing this goal, finishing a marathon, is going to make you feel really great about yourself, and that goes a long way in other parts of your life! Stick with it and show your kids what that's all about. But I will say that training for a spring marathon makes you extra badass, because those long runs in the winter are tough! You got this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post! I struggle with this all the time! I feel such guilt when I choose to do things that take me away from my family. Lately, with running, I've been able to find a better balance (mostly because I do it before they wake up each morning). It also is something that the entire family is interested and they have come to understand running is a part of each day. I love the quote you posted: Going for a run isn't mommy being selfish, it's mommy being awesome" LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's always a struggle trying to balance our goals with the needs of our families. When I get my workouts in I feel better about myself & am much more relaxed, which makes me a better mother. I think it's important to let our children see us setting big goals for ourselves and then going out and working towards them as well. Our kids model our actions, so if we want them to dream big, we need to walk the walk. Good luck in training for your marathon! I'm sure it will be a great accomplishment for you & your family will be excited for you! :)

    ReplyDelete