Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Week 10? Maybe?

The weeks are starting to blend into each other and I am believe it or not losing track?  How is that
even possible?  I do believe that I just finished up week 10 though and did so on mostly rest.  Having a foot problem and being somewhat injured had me sidelined after last weeks 10 miler.




Marathon Training Week 10:

The Miles:

Wednesday ~ 3 mile WALK
Friday ~ 8 mile BIKE
Saturday ~ 8 mile RUN

The Weather:

Oh my gosh the weather was NOT even fair!!!! I wanted to throw a big ole tantrum about the weather all week.  After getting out there in ice, snow, rain, blizzards, double digit wind chills and
temperatures ALL damn winter long, this weeks little spring tease was absolute torture not to run in.  I mean TORTURE!!! I live in town and because of that my road is a route that is used a lot for runners and walkers.  Watching all the fair weather runners running with HUGE grins on their face in the warm sunshine was almost enough to completely drive me over the edge. Almost, I mean I was happy for THEM, happy they were out and moving BUT I wanted to be out running too damn it!!!!

Routes:

Well the bike route was boring gym views and I tried to watch TV but I really wasn't interested at all in the show on in front of me.  Some TLC show about virgins I think?  But I just kept my head down
and got it done as fast as I could, focusing on my pretty new kicks! When I did get out for Wednesday's walk it was just around the neighborhood, dropping my daughter at school and then meandering around until putting breakfast off for the other two was no longer an option.

Gear:

Bike.  Yep I went to the gym and I biked.  It is MUCH harder than I thought it was going to be.  I grew bored by mile 3 (12 minutes in?).  And WOWZA was I sore the next day, sitting was something I did only if I absolutely had too and I did so ever so gently.  I have decided that I am going to replace one run a week for the bike though.  It was a great way to stay moving and give some of my running muscles a bit of a break.  Cross training IT IS IMPORTANT!!!!! Foam Roller, really enough said.  I used it and I used it alot.  I tried for three times a day or more.  I discovered that I really do need to stretch before and after and roll roll roll.  I can't just go out and pound out the miles and then not take care of my muscles for treating them that way.

Lessons Learned:

 Rest is important.  Rest is needed.  It is OK to not run every single mile you have listed out in your training plan.  It was hard for me to watch the week go by and the miles go along with it.  I didn't get to put little hearts around the mile # this week indicating that I completed them.  But I learned that
really truly listening to your body is the way to go.  My foot is absolutely fine now and I think I avoided a major problem by giving myself that week off.



1 comment:

  1. Sorry that you had to rest so much but I am so glad to hear that you are listening to your body..that is a HUGE breakthrough for a lot of people. Great work!

    ReplyDelete