Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Run Happy

Sometimes we set out on becoming a runner not because we are happy, but because we are running from something.  Whether we are running from infertility, depression, loneliness, stress, or any other of the billion things that leave us feeling like we have no where to turn, no where to go.  We need outlets and running is most definitely an outlet.  At first it is hard, but while you are out there a sense of peace overcomes you and just for a moment you forget your fears, insecurities and worries.  You are one with your breath, your heart and your thoughts.  Running can and will get you through some very very tough times.  Meet Kassy! A fellow Mainer and this weeks WICKED INSPIRING WEDNESDAY feature.  Brave beyond words knowing that each day she could get news of her husband not returning.  Young and strong she took to running to get her through her husbands deployment and now continues running in honor of fallen military members.  She is one cool Mother Runner.  


I started running in June of 2006. I was 21 years old. I had been married for eight months and my husband had just left on his first deployment with the United States Marine Corps. I had run on and off in high school. I played varsity soccer so I ran with the team, when I had to, but never on my own. At 21 years old, newly married and scared out of my mind with the unknowns of deployments I needed an outlet. One day I just figured I would go for a run. My stress was relived as I pounded my thoughts out on the pavement. I was hooked! I ran almost every day of that deployment. In December 2006 my husband safely returned. I continued to run. I had started to enjoy it, plus the toned legs and arms I had was a huge bonus! In April 2007 my husband was again sent on deployment. This time to Iraq. Just four months after he got home. I was again overwhelmed with worries, frustration, and a little anger. I ran. Running kept my mind from thinking the worst thoughts when it had been days since I had heard from him. Running helped me celebrate on the days I got letters and phone calls. Running helped me count down the days. On November 10, 2007 he once again returned! Safe and sound!! Running helped me RUN to his arms when he stepped off that bus! Fast forward to today. May 2014. My husband has been out of the Marine Corps since August 2008. He served four years. We have moved from Camp Lejeune in North Carolina to Maine. We now have an amazing 14 month old son. I ran for the first 13 weeks of pregnancy, but then had to stop due to severe hip and lower back pain. I walked my running routes every day. Running was a big challenge after birth. It took me a while to heal, and then I had some issues nursing him that kept my running shoes in the closet. Finally when my son was seven months old I ran a 12 mile race called "run for the fallen" to honor fallen military members. It was the best race I had ever run. I currently average about 12 miles a week. The cold snowy winter and a baby kept my running at bay the past few months. However now that spring is upon us and my son is happy to be in the jogger we head out every other morning to run together and I am looking forward to my next 5K June 7th. As I type this its crazy to think thatrunning has been my outlet for eight years! I love the challenge of running up a huge hill and feeling like you will never reach the top, but feeling elated when you do! It's a runners high for sure!!! It has its moments where it feels like work, and its hard to figure out how to work it in with kids, but we have a saying in my house "Momma is happy when she runs." My awesome husband, who runs his own gun business and helps his Dad run the family power equipment business, supports me and makes time for my runs when ever he can. My ipod running play list is called "run happy" because running makes me happy.










2 comments:

  1. Great story to share!!! Everyone runs their own race for their own reasons. This warmed my heart :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great story! Thank you for sharing Christina! Do you have contact info for her at all? My husband also runs his own company and works with firearms, and I was thinking of checking with her regarding her husband's gun business, being that we are both New Englanders :) Love these Wicked Inspiring Stories :)

    ReplyDelete