Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Life gives lemons, I run


Inspiration comes at us from anywhere.  You never know when you are going to get hit in the face with a moment of pure clarity.  A moment that leaves you feeling awestruck and unable to speak.  One that gives you goosebumps and motivation to change your life, to change the world, to CHANGE! 

With that, I bring back the Wicked Inspiring Wednesday feature on the blog.  I LOVE reading stories about how others found running, or running found them.  I sit here and cry or laugh and then store the story away for when the going gets tough out on a training run. I bring up the story when I am struggling and that person is there encouraging me, letting me know I too can do it.  For when life gives you lemons, and sometimes they are HUGE lemons, well just simply ask for running shoes.

Today, I am proud to have you meet Misty.  A fellow mother runner who's strength and bravery left me in awe.  Married at 18 and widowed at 24.  Her strength and maturity from a young age is amazing.





I'm a 36 year old homeschooling mom of 5. I enjoy running and actually crave it at times! I didn't always enjoy it though! Here's my story.


Joe and I loved spending time together and we loved food! We enjoyed cooking together and we loved surprising each other with our favorite foods. Joe's favorite was Taco Bell. I fondly remember when he would bring me my favorite lunch at work. I actually still have the napkins that he wrote love notes on. 


Needless to say we both gained weight through the years as do many young married couples. I however also gained weight due to having 2 babies. I was young, in love, content with life, and had a hubby who enjoyed food just as much as me. What more could you ask for?

Well, that all changed when Joe was diagnosed with Stage IV cancer on January 1, 2002. I couldn't eat if I tried! Joe decided he didn't want to try Chemo or Radiation and they weren't sure that would work anyways so we went the all natural route. That didn't seem to work and of course Joe wasn't used to eating completely clean. He would have me sneak him to Taco Bell for his favorite foods. Those memories can make it seem that we had so much time together after his diagnosis, but the truth is, we only had 1 month. It seems like an eternity and blink of an eye all at the same time.

Joe passed away February 9th, 2002. My life changed. I became a widow. I became the sole provider and caretaker of our two precious babies, Jolynn (2) and Joe (6 months). We could never afford life insurance and the cobra insurance was very expensive. I started really analyzing my life as a mother and decided I needed to be healthy for my children. I also had to start considering how I was going to provide for them while still being able to spend quality time with them. Our plan had always been for me to be able to stay home and raise them so I wanted to honor that. I started looking for a job that would allow me that opportunity.


I started nursing school. I figured I would be able to work fewer days with longer shifts and still be able to be home a good amount of time. Sounded great. While going to classes I began to get convicted. How would I be a promoter of health while unhealthy myself? Again back to my analyzing being healthy for my children. I weighed 240 lbs and I know that wasn't healthy for me or my children. 

Before and After
I began to work out and eat right and within 4 months I lost 100 lbs. My workouts consisted of running and weightlifting routines. I ate correct portions of healthy food and other foods in moderation. I finally was healthy for myself and my children. This is where my passion began! I vowed I would never see that 240 lb woman again. I went through a time of guilt. "Why didn't I do this when Joe was alive? Why couldn't we be healthy together, etc." I didn't let that last long, I just started being thankful that finally I did it! That's what means most! No Regrets!

I eventually remarried and now have 3 more children. With each pregnancy I gained 100lbs and again worked hard and lost it all. I even got down smaller than when I was in High School!! Imagine that! I truly developed a love for running! I had surgery a couple of years ago and was unable to run for some time and it was depressing. I craved running! The depression in addition to severe anemia that my at that time hematologist could not figure out led to a stronger depression. I gained weight, I was unmotivated, I was unhealthy. I needed to get a grip!

My Buddy Collin IRun4Collin
Then a miracle happened! I have always been one to want to bring awareness to those that need help. So while searching out a way to do this I found a wonderful group! A group that let your running become a blessing to someone that can't run! I found that motivation that had been missing for so long. I lost sight of my passion. I forgot all about the one thing that helped me get through the loss I suffered. I found  www.whoirunfor.com!! This group is amazing! It has restored my passion. It has restored my motivation and continues to grow my desire to help others and bring awareness to so many needs! 

I signed up to be matched as a runner. I was blessed with a wonderful buddy named Collin! Collin has been diagnosed with Lennox Gastaut Syndrome(type of Epilepsy that is very difficult to control) Autism, Moderate Mental Retardation, and Cortical Vision Impairment. It is my goal to bring awareness to his needs and do all I can to be a blessing to him. This journey has been a wonderful one so far! I workout daily in honor of Collin and keep in contact with his mom to let him know! 

This group not only has helped me find my passion and motivation again, it has helped me be a good example for my children and has also opened my eyes to other ways my family and I can be a blessing others with health needs. If you enjoy running or even if you are aspiring runner take some time to look up information on this group. I promise you that you will not be disappointed and you wont be able to hold back from signing up for a buddy! The waiting list is long but again I promise you the wait will be worth it! 
Beautiful family

Many have shared with me that I have inspired them to begin running. Now you know the purpose behind my passion! I believe running helped me deal with the grief of losing my husband, I believe it gave me a new start with my babies, and it has also given me new meaning to life (using my passion to help others!). What is your passion? What are you doing with it?  
Amazing Misty

9 comments:

  1. Another inspiring story! Running does so much for people!

    Wendy@TakingtheLongWayHome

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Running is a fantastic friend isn't it? :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing my story! I sure hope it helps someone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much for sharing it with me!!!! It is an amazing journey!

      Delete
    2. Thank you so very much for sharing it with me!!!! It is such an amazing journey!

      Delete
  3. Wow, this is such an inspiring story, and so touching! Thank you for sharing it! She is a strong woman to pull through that situation, and come out on top!

    ReplyDelete